NBA Central


 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Good Morning All, and please, remember, we need more posts, so please, get posting, and register if you're a guest

Share | 
 

 Portland TrailBlazers - The Financial Issue

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TheFeldster
Admin
Admin
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 310
Age : 27
Location : Adelaide
Favorite Team : Milwaukee Bucks
Favorite Players : Andrew Bogut, Ray Allen
Mood :
Mood : Chillin
Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Portland TrailBlazers - The Financial Issue   14th January 2009, 08:54

Ok, here's what information I've been able to gather about the Portland/Darius Miles controversy

* Darius Miles suffered an injury that was deemed 'career-ending' and was waived by Portland, and his salary of 18 million/2 years was wiped from the Portland TrailBlazer's salary cap.

* Darius Miles overcame the injury, and played 6 games for the Boston Celtics during the pre-season.

* Despite being dropped from the Celtics for the pre-season, Darius Miles was signed by the Memphis Grizzlies on a 2-game deal

* Under the NBA Salary Cap rules, if a players salary is wiped from the cap due to career-ending injury, and then they go on to play 10 or more games, the salary returns to the team's cap.

* The NBA deemed that Miles' 6 pre-season games counted as games, and announced that Miles only needed 2 more games before Portland had to add his salary to their cap.

* The Blazers had intended to pursue a high-profile free agent this off-season, in the quiet while other teams saved up for LeBron and Co. in 2010.

* The Blazers sent out a memo to the other 29 clubs in the league, claiming that if anyone else signed Miles, they would pursue legal action.

* The other 29 owners claimed that this was a violation of some trust that they all had to sign to own an NBA franchise.

* Commisioner David Stern ignored all the outcry

* The NBA Players Association filed a grievance against the Blazers

* The Memphis Grizzlies ignored the warning by Portland, and extended his contract.

* Miles played today against Cleveland, and is one game away from returning to the Portland salary cap


What do you guys think? Will Portland make good this threat of legal action?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlamDunk
Super Admin
Super Admin
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 372
Favorite Team : Boston Celtics
Favorite Players : Kevin Durant, Rajon Rondo, Boris Diaw
Mood :
Mood : Cheerful
Registration date : 2009-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Portland TrailBlazers - The Financial Issue   14th January 2009, 09:10

Well I cant see how Portland will keep him from not playing with the Grizzlies again. This is very confusing. That Trailblazers are stuffed from here imo and have next to no show in signing a free agent in the off-season....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://nbacentral.forumotion.com
rjt
NBA All Star Team Rep.
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 368
Age : 25
Location : indonesia
Favorite Team : cleveland cavaliers
Favorite Players : lebron james
Mood :
Mood : lazy
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Portland TrailBlazers - The Financial Issue   15th January 2009, 12:31

YEAH

what will blazers say about it?

LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=AvwKjUvNi2ddPzsuyEbRtQp
SlamDunk
Super Admin
Super Admin
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 372
Favorite Team : Boston Celtics
Favorite Players : Kevin Durant, Rajon Rondo, Boris Diaw
Mood :
Mood : Cheerful
Registration date : 2009-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Portland TrailBlazers - The Financial Issue   16th January 2009, 05:04

Well, there is no way the Portland Trailblazers can stop Darius Miles from playing his second game for the Grizzlies. With a game tomorrow against the Utah Jazz the Grizzlies will sercure the service of Miles.

I just cant see how they can have a case to stop Miles at this late time. Portland will have cop his cap on their cap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://nbacentral.forumotion.com
TheFeldster
Admin
Admin
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 310
Age : 27
Location : Adelaide
Favorite Team : Milwaukee Bucks
Favorite Players : Andrew Bogut, Ray Allen
Mood :
Mood : Chillin
Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Portland TrailBlazers - The Financial Issue   16th January 2009, 05:05

NEWS COMING IN: The NBA has decided not to fine the Blazers, despite claiming that the threatening e-mail was against NBA regulations.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlamDunk
Super Admin
Super Admin
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 372
Favorite Team : Boston Celtics
Favorite Players : Kevin Durant, Rajon Rondo, Boris Diaw
Mood :
Mood : Cheerful
Registration date : 2009-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Portland TrailBlazers - The Financial Issue   16th January 2009, 05:11

TheFeldster wrote:
NEWS COMING IN: The NBA has decided not to fine the Blazers, despite claiming that the threatening e-mail was against NBA regulations.

So what happens now? So they wont cop the cap? (Not he best on these issues as haven't heard of this situation before)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://nbacentral.forumotion.com
TheFeldster
Admin
Admin
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 310
Age : 27
Location : Adelaide
Favorite Team : Milwaukee Bucks
Favorite Players : Andrew Bogut, Ray Allen
Mood :
Mood : Chillin
Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Portland TrailBlazers - The Financial Issue   16th January 2009, 05:13

SlamDunk wrote:
TheFeldster wrote:
NEWS COMING IN: The NBA has decided not to fine the Blazers, despite claiming that the threatening e-mail was against NBA regulations.

So what happens now? So they wont cop the cap? (Not he best on these issues as haven't heard of this situation before)

No, they just won't be fined extra for acting like pricks Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sk22allstars
Member
Member
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 947
Location : UT, Pennsylvania, United States
Favorite Team : Magic, Thunder, Hawks
Favorite Players : Dwight Howard, Kevin Durant, Josh Smith, Al Horford, Mo Williams
Mood :
Mood : ::::..BORED.::::
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Portland TrailBlazers - The Financial Issue   21st January 2009, 16:08

CONFUSING
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/saeedkuzmar
TheFeldster
Admin
Admin
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 310
Age : 27
Location : Adelaide
Favorite Team : Milwaukee Bucks
Favorite Players : Andrew Bogut, Ray Allen
Mood :
Mood : Chillin
Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Portland TrailBlazers - The Financial Issue   21st January 2009, 16:36

sk22allstars wrote:
CONFUSING

Yep. That's one word that describes it all.

_________________


Back to top Go down
View user profile
ucatchtrout
Baby Baller


Male
Number of posts : 3
Mood :
Mood : Chillin
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Portland TrailBlazers - The Financial Issue   22nd January 2009, 03:47

TheFeldster wrote:
SlamDunk wrote:
TheFeldster wrote:
NEWS COMING IN: The NBA has decided not to fine the Blazers, despite claiming that the threatening e-mail was against NBA regulations.

So what happens now? So they wont cop the cap? (Not he best on these issues as haven't heard of this situation before)

No, they just won't be fined extra for acting like pricks Smile

The Blazers didn't do anything any other business in America wouldn't do if their financial interests were threatened. And they were. So they had their lawyer write a nasty letter threatening legal action which will never come. Big deal. Collection agencies send people letters like that every day of the week.

As for Miles, maybe he CAN play, but he is playing on borrowed time. Every team that has been involved with him knows that. There is no misdiagnosis of his knee. The qualilty of todays MRI exams are nothing short of incredible. They show EVERYTHING. I know. We had one done on my son two weeks ago. There is no way the doctors missed anything. There is no serviceable cartilage left in the knee and the doctors said if he played on it he'd ruin his knee and and it would have to be replaced.

WHEN will the knee break is the question. Notice nobody is throwing any guaranteed two or three year deals in Miles direction? Its because the teams know the knee is going to break they just don't know when. So they are exploiting him to gain financial advantage over the Blazers, and, or win a few games....which if you are the Memphis Grizzlies mean nothing at this point. Miles isn't the kind of guy who can provide veteran leadership that is of any value to a team in developing young talent. The Grizz got what they wanted, Miles numbers go back on Portlands books and that will be that. Sure, the Grizz signed him to another ten day to make themselves look good. No way are they going to give him a multiyear deal, and I'll bet money he won't be playing in Memphis next year.

Miles is a fool for wasting what is left of his knee for a few ten day contracts or even the couple hundred thousand he might hope to make if he signs with a team for the rest of the season. But clearly he misses the attention and the lifestyle.

The Blazers followed the league rules and did nothing wrong when Miles was declared medically retired. They hired private trainers and made every attempt to support Miles in rehabilitating his knee. If you followed the Blazers you would know this and you would also know Miles gained a lot of weight and often refused to train and exercise with the trainers when he was at the teams practice facility....preferring instead to visit with other players and team employees.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sk22allstars
Member
Member
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 947
Location : UT, Pennsylvania, United States
Favorite Team : Magic, Thunder, Hawks
Favorite Players : Dwight Howard, Kevin Durant, Josh Smith, Al Horford, Mo Williams
Mood :
Mood : ::::..BORED.::::
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Portland TrailBlazers - The Financial Issue   22nd January 2009, 03:51

ucatchtrout wrote:
TheFeldster wrote:
SlamDunk wrote:
TheFeldster wrote:
NEWS COMING IN: The NBA has decided not to fine the Blazers, despite claiming that the threatening e-mail was against NBA regulations.

So what happens now? So they wont cop the cap? (Not he best on these issues as haven't heard of this situation before)

No, they just won't be fined extra for acting like pricks Smile

The Blazers didn't do anything any other business in America wouldn't do if their financial interests were threatened. And they were. So they had their lawyer write a nasty letter threatening legal action which will never come. Big deal. Collection agencies send people letters like that every day of the week.

As for Miles, maybe he CAN play, but he is playing on borrowed time. Every team that has been involved with him knows that. There is no misdiagnosis of his knee. The qualilty of todays MRI exams are nothing short of incredible. They show EVERYTHING. I know. We had one done on my son two weeks ago. There is no way the doctors missed anything. There is no serviceable cartilage left in the knee and the doctors said if he played on it he'd ruin his knee and and it would have to be replaced.

WHEN will the knee break is the question. Notice nobody is throwing any guaranteed two or three year deals in Miles direction? Its because the teams know the knee is going to break they just don't know when. So they are exploiting him to gain financial advantage over the Blazers, and, or win a few games....which if you are the Memphis Grizzlies mean nothing at this point. Miles isn't the kind of guy who can provide veteran leadership that is of any value to a team in developing young talent. The Grizz got what they wanted, Miles numbers go back on Portlands books and that will be that. Sure, the Grizz signed him to another ten day to make themselves look good. No way are they going to give him a multiyear deal, and I'll bet money he won't be playing in Memphis next year.

Miles is a fool for wasting what is left of his knee for a few ten day contracts or even the couple hundred thousand he might hope to make if he signs with a team for the rest of the season. But clearly he misses the attention and the lifestyle.

The Blazers followed the league rules and did nothing wrong when Miles was declared medically retired. They hired private trainers and made every attempt to support Miles in rehabilitating his knee. If you followed the Blazers you would know this and you would also know Miles gained a lot of weight and often refused to train and exercise with the trainers when he was at the teams practice facility....preferring instead to visit with other players and team employees.

Wow thats long

I read the first 3 paragraphs and got bored but I agreed with you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/saeedkuzmar
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Portland TrailBlazers - The Financial Issue   

Back to top Go down
 
Portland TrailBlazers - The Financial Issue
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Post Game Thread - vs Portland Trailblazers, Home
» Danica Patrick SI Swimsuit Issue
» Portland 2011: Why I Have a Double Chin, or Stuffing Your Face with Beer, Whiskey and Mussels is a Bad Idea
» KWA Piston Issue & High Five to KWA
» INTERNATIONAL SERIS PLAYER ISSUE SAINTS JERSEY FOR SALE

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NBA Central :: WESTERN CONFERENCE :: Northwest Division-
Jump to: